Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The Proof


Ty is getting good enough at rolling over that we can't leave him unattended on our bed or the couch! He is also babbling quite a bit - but he keeps his lips together so it all sounds muted. It's pretty darn cute!

In other news:

Trent has two weeks left of his urgent care rotation. He has really enjoyed this one, and it has been my favorite by far. He has only had to work 3 days/12 hour shifts instead of 5 days/10 hours. He works in a ghetto area of Phoenix, near some exotic clubs and other shady places, so he comes home with some pretty colorful stories.

I have survived my first two days back at school. Yesterday the kids were on auto pilot, but today they started coming to life a little. I can already pick out the class clowns, the rowdy punks and the sweet kids...but I'll end up loving them all the same. While I actually enjoyed myself today, I've still got a mental countdown going on in the back of my head. (2 days down, 178 to go.) My sweet friend (and visiting teacher) Christie left me this darling photo album to fill up with pictures of Ty and take to work with me. She also left me a yummy chocolate chip loaf. She is always so darn thoughtful!


Trent and I are becoming experts in creative budgeting! Midwestern raised their tuition this year, and I went part time - so we got hit below the belt twice. Thank goodness we've stocked up on food storage. I'm not even kidding - it has been a life saver for us! (Don't worry mom's and other parental-like figures in our life, we're not completely impoverished.) My sister once told me that their poorest married years were some of the funnest years. I can't say this is fun like going to a theme park is fun, but we're getting good at making our own fun for free!

This week I'm particularly grateful for:

food storage
gift cards that I stashed away months ago
dinner swap (you girls rock!)
friends who call (or text) to check on me
a healthy, happy baby
chocolate milkshakes, courtesy of Danny
my sister, Nichol - sometimes I think she's my biggest cheerleader
good books
a hard working husband

9 comments:

Jennie said...

I can't even believe how hard it must be to leave little Ty. Sorry that you have to do it for a little while.

Way to go on having food storage!! Smart girl. If you have any spare time (yeah right with you working now and being mommy and wife), click on the links I have on my blog for Mom Advice. She gives great tips on being frugal and always does Friday Freebies...which are links to free things. She also has a frugal blogroll on the side of her blog with link to other people that are using their $$ wisely.

Also, check out Slickdeals 'cause once in awhile they'll have some pretty cheap or FREE stuff listed.

One more, www.couponmom.com is a free site (once you register) that tells you how to save 50-70% off your grocery bill by using coupons strategically.

Love ya!

Christie said...

That video is so cute! What's even cuter is you cheering him on. I love that! He's a good roller-over.

I am also so grateful for dinner swap. I was looking in my fridge the other day thinking it was looking bare, but then I realized that I didn't need to make dinner 2 times this week, so the condition it was in was perfect! I think dinner swap saves us money...have you found that too?

Cara Fish said...

I am so glad that life is good for you! Ty is getting so big - and even though being poor is no fun, somehow, being poor and newlywed kind of is...weird, aren't we?

Courtney said...

You are such a great mom, wife, friend...I am so impressed by you. I love the way you describe your students and that you love them all the same. Maybe it is a bummer that you are working part time, but I can tell you the students you have are being blessed by having you as a teacher!

Linz said...

I hear you on the food storage! It has saved us a few times!

Kari said...

Wow, Rach, I'm so proud of you! Great job on the food storage. And yes, when we were dirt poor we did have fun living off what we could. We still have fun now, but looking back, it just seemed exciting to be able to take care of ourselves living on so little. :)

Great job to Ty rolling over! Yea! What a man!

morgan larsen said...

I am impressed that you are able to teach everyday. Not only just teach to any group of kids, but to a group of kids that have a unique set of abilities and disabilities. wow.

The MacMizzles said...

Being a mother requires us to be so adaptable, strong and willing to swallow our pride or whatever to do what is best for our family. Some times you have to work, sometimes you have to stay home...either way, I have found that when you make it bliss, it is. From what little I know of you, I see that your child is very lucky whether you help put a roof over his head and get a little help or, stay home...there are many ways to raise a child, and you seem to be enjoying him...that is the most important element of parenting.

Auburn said...

Rolling over already!! What a champ ;O) I'm sure you'll be SO GLAD when Trent is done with school and you can just be home with Ty all day. I'm looking forward to retiring too. I have 6 1/2 months!!