Saturday, February 03, 2007

London's Run


This morning my mom, sister, and sister in law joined me for London's Run. We registered a month ago, but I haven't felt well for 2 weeks and was tempted to stay home today. I'm so glad I went! One of my long time friends, Nancy, was the event planner for this huge event in honor of her niece, London, who passed away from leukemia just over a year ago. I didn't get to run the 1/2 marathon or 10K, but I waddled my way through the 2 mile event at Schnepf Farms in Queen Creek. It was such a great feeling to do something as simple as walking to raise money for research and help Maddie, one of London's hospital roommates, who is still recovering from a bone marrow transplant. The back of our shirts said, "Cancer is hard. This is a piece of cake." I forgot my awkward, pregnant, congested self and walked for London and Maddie. It felt great! Halfway through the walk I looked up and saw a cute, young mom with a t-shirt on that said, "Maddie's Mom" on the back. She was walking next to "Maddie's Auntie" and several other family members. I choked back a few tears when I tried to place myself in her shoes.

If any of you are interested in participating next year, donating money, or just want to read London's story, go to www.londonsrun.org or www.caringbridge.org/visit/londonsolomon . There were lots of mommies pushing strollers, and several families that participated together. Trent is going to volunteer as a medic next year, and I made a goal of participating in the 10K. I am so impressed that this family has turned a tragedy into such a positive, healing experience for so many people. They are such a great example to me!

9 comments:

Courtney said...

I wanted to do that and totally forgot! Next year I will do it with you, ok?!

The Blakes said...

Absolutely! I'll even meet up with you to "train" beforehand if you'd like.

Courtney said...

I would like!

Auburn said...

What a great thing. Maybe I'll be back in AZ in time to do it next year, if not, I'll definitely be in the '09 run ;o) You look great by the way! Only a few more weeks until mommyhood! You need to e-mail me your mailing address and phone number asap!!

The Blakes said...

Auburn, I just tried to email you and I can't find your address. I must not have added it to my permanent address book. OOPS! So drop me an email and I will reply!

Jamie & Johnny said...

Johnny was there and ran the 10K. I was suppose to run with him but due to my sickness and Trey's sickness we opted to rest at home. I trained for it too. Next year I'm with you and Court for sure!

The Blakes said...

That's awesome. Trent hates jogging so the only way I can get him there is to sign him up for the medic staff. I can't wait to have the ability to run again!

Auburn said...

Will do! I hope your e-mail is still in my contacts though, I lost all mine when Dave's and I's treo phone CRASHED. In case I don't still have yours mine is my: firstname.lastname@assurant.com

the Painters said...

Me too! I'm proud of you Rachel. It's not easy with a belly to do anything, let alone run...or waddle for 2 miles being prego. You're a strong girl.