Saturday, March 05, 2011

Deep Thoughts in a Bowling Alley

Tonight was date night. We are really hit and miss with date night, mostly because I fail to plan well and secure a baby sitter. This week I remembered to get a sitter, but didn't come up with a plan. We ended up heading to YC's for dinner and I bumped into my old friend/roommate Jamie. It was fun to see her and her new baby. Afterwards we decided to forego the usual choice of the movies and instead went bowling. Date night is so much more fun when we do interactive things. We were home by 9, but hey, we're getting old. :)

While we were bowling, we people watched. I enjoyed the lane next to us full of tweeners and teenagers. They were super friendly, cheered us on when we bowled well, and were fun to watch. I asked if they were siblings - they were a mix of siblings and cousins. I complimented the oldest one (whose name happened to be Ty) for spending a Saturday night hanging out with his brother and cousins. He said they do it all the time. I hope my kids like each other that much.

At one point, Michael Jackson came on the music video screen with Billie Jean. I had to refrain from dancing full out. I had flashbacks of awesome cabin trips to Nancy's house, dancing on wood floors in our socks until we were exhausted. I could go for one of those trips again. Who cares if I'm in my 30's and slightly out of shape. I decided it would be so much more fun if we didn't have to be so inhabited and we could all dance freely when we felt moved to do so. Yet I still refrained from bustin' any moves. I did ask Trent if we could rent out the whole alley sometime so we could bowl and dance as we pleased. He replied that it would be pretty expensive. So instead, I think I'll invite everyone I know (that would dance freely) some time and we'll just take up so many lanes that it will be the norm to dance when it's not your turn to bowl. I can dream, right?

Well, in other news I am finally feeling human. I took the week of from teaching preschool, doing chores (I've actually not really been doing those for a while now) and laid low. I'm finally mostly cough-free and feeling only pregnancy side effects without any respiratory issues.

Today was our busiest day this week. My mom took the grandkids and my sister and I to see Cinderella at the Hale Theater. Brooke was quite enamored with the production. She loves "Rella". Ty enjoyed it too. Then we went to a fun birthday BBQ with Trent's second family, the Jones'. Whenever we see them (which is far too infrequent), we have the best time. I'm so glad they still include us in their family events.

And here are a few not so great quality pictures just to document that my children are being nourished and cared for to some degree.

Love this picnic weather. We eat lunch outdoors nearly every day.

I tried to get a sibling shot before leaving for Cinderella this morning. This was the best shot of several failed attempts. But I was so excited that Brooke let me do her hair!

My little (blurry) princess.

5 comments:

mad white woman said...

I forgot you are pregnant. Blah, sorry you've been so sick, but glad you're on the mend.

Courtney said...

Yea for date night! Having a newborn makes you realize how I miss them! We took went bowling and took the kids Sat. night...it was a BLAST and they LOVED it!

and for the record...you know i'd bust it to Michael Jackson!

Nancy Pitney said...

If I had been bowling with you, I totally would have busted it out. I have no problems letting my inhibitions go! Couple things: 1) if you had come to my New Years Party you could have totally jammed out again--just like old times! 2) I bust out my old dance moves all the time with Jack during the day. Nothing helps you clean your house better than a little MJ in the background. Seriously. You can't NOT be happy with some happy dance music on! It's a shame it's not easier to get together and dance like we used to, but I guess we've got to make due with what we've got! :)

d.jo said...

We would TOTALLY come to your bowling/dance party. Just let us know when. : )

And just so you know--your house looks BETTER THAN MINE--I don't even have an excuse for not doing my chores. I just haven't been in the mood & I'm not even prego, haha! Feel good about your accomplishments, because you're doing great!

or mom said...

Oh my, look at Brooke's hair! Getting so long. Love the picnic pixs!