Thursday, March 17, 2011

Spring Break Getaway

Last weekend we decided to head to the beach to kick off Spring Break. We nearly missed our trip since Ty came down with yet another virus just before our scheduled departure. Luckily it passed quickly and we were able to enjoy some fresh air and sunshine on the coast.
We started our quick trip at Sea World. At my friends urging, I called in advance to see if they have any discounts for kids with special needs. They were so accommodating! If you have a child with (documented) special needs, they not only give the child a 50% discount, but they also give a reduced "escort" price to one parent/guardian as well. It was a nice price break for our little family and they really gave him the royal treatment. He also got a pass to jump to the front of any lines with members of our party. My nephews were more than willing to ride with him beforehand, but even more excited when they heard the good news that they wouldn't have to wait in line.
Surprising to all of us, Ty was tall enough to ride ALL the rides as long as he was with an adult. I wasn't sure he'd care for the roller coaster, but it turns out he's an adrenaline junkie. His father is so proud. They disappeared for half the day going on rides while I played with Brooke and my nieces. Another 6 inches and Ty will be tall enough to head to Magic Mountain, says my adventure seeking husband. I'm glad they'll have each other from now on.

S0me of the menfolk. They even talked Grandpa into going on this ride.


Trent and Ty feeding the stingray.


Waiting in line (briefly) for Elmo's flying fish ride. Brooke loved this ride too.


At the Blue Horizons dolphin show. I liked it even better than seeing Shamu. It was a nice break for a grouchy little girl as well. Shortly before this picture, she was eating a PB&J sandwich while we walked from one exhibit to another. A seagull flew up to her and snatched her sandwich. She was ANGRY! The rest of the trip (not day, but trip) if a bird came near her she started chasing it and growling at it in her most ferocious voice.



Ty with his best buddy, Marshall. Next to daddy, Marshall is Ty's biggest hero. I'll always be grateful to him for making Ty feel like the coolest kid in the world.

The girls at the Play Pad. It was so much fun to vacation with family. We originally thought it would be nice to go with just our little family, but with little kids it is really helpful to have extra sets of hands and eyes (and extra patience).

Day 2 of our trip was spent at the beach. It was slightly windy and in the 60's, so I stayed fully dressed. The rest of my family indulged in the atmosphere.

She would have stayed forever if we would have let her.

Trent and my nephews were brave enough to try some body surfing. I was cold just watching them.

Trent and I escaped for a quick walk down the beach. it was beautiful.

Our one attempt at a family picture at La Jolla beach, near the seals.
Our last day we headed back to Sea World (fun passes let you pay for one day and go all year!) and spent half the day soaking up the sun and playing in the kiddie area. When Brooke's good nature expired, we loaded up and headed home. Until the last leg of our trip when my nausea took over, it was a fantastic weekend with the family!

4 comments:

Jamie said...

What a fun trip. I'm jealous. That story about Brooke's sandwich kills me. Poor thing. I'd be pissed too. Hope you start feeling good soon. :)

d.jo said...

That looks so fun! I love your hat--it was really cute, and the pictures turned out great! I'm so glad you guys went!

Maybe when Tyson is 6 inches taller, we can jump in on your trip to Magic Mountain. : )

Nancy Pitney said...

I had no idea Sea World had rides! I don't think they did when we were kids. Looks like you guys had a great time! So glad you were able to get away!

Beka said...

what a fun trip Rachel- i really wanna take my kids to D-land or SeaWorld...someday:) glad you got a vacation!!