Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Rocking Chair Therapy

Putting Brooke down for the night is one of my favorite times of the day. We sneak upstairs and steal a few moments together before we part ways for the night. I turn on the same CD every night, A Child's Prayer, and it soothes both of us. She usually finishes her bottle while I rock her, then she readjusts her round little body so she can nuzzle my neck for a few minutes. Sometimes she just rests her weary head on my shoulder and we rock to the peaceful music. Other nights, like tonight, she tells me a story in fluent babble - nodding her head and pointing at things to illustrate her narration. Tonight she saw fit to bestow several slobbery kisses on me, rhythmically moving her head to my shoulder and then back to my face for another kiss. It was a lovely game she played and until sleepiness set in. In these tender moments with her she forgives me for my misdeeds of any given day: lack of patience, not enough time playing on the floor, making her wear a bow, etc... And in these same quiet moments I remember my priorities, my good intentions, and I promise myself to be a better mother, wife, person in the morning.

As she drifts into her slumber I stay just one song longer and I say a silent prayer of thanks. I whisper my love for Brooke into her ear and thank her for blessing our family. Even if she wakes and pouts as I lay her in her crib, my perspective has been adjusted - my soul has been soothed.

And even if just for those few precious moments, all is well with the world.

4 comments:

or mom said...

Thanks so much for sharing. These are moments to cherish and have a way to renew our souls. Life goes by so quickly.

Nancy Pitney said...

Wow! What a neat bedtime ritual. I wish Jack were a cuddler like that. Most of the time when he's really tired and I try to rock him, he just goes toward the crib like "I want to go in there". I guess I should be thankful he can put himself to sleep, but sometimes it'd be nice to hold him. Last night he had a fever and because he didn't feel well he was especially cuddly. It was so nice! Thanks for the reminder to cherish the little moments.

morgan larsen said...

There isn't one specific thing in what you said that stood out, but in that post you summed up life just right. I am worried about the transition to the next phase of life, that was what I needed, thank you.

autumn said...

don't you wish you could bottle that up and preserve it forever? i love those moments.