Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Glue Ear and Child Labor

Ty's procedure yesterday went splendidly! We had to wait for about an hour and a half, but the procedure itself took less than ten minutes. Amazing. Dr. McKenna teasingly told us perhaps we should be concerned because Ty enjoyed the anesthesia so much. He also reported that Ty had glue ear in his right ear. Basically the fluid in that ear was really thick and sticky. While it may not have been painful, glue ear is a huge contributing factor to speech delays in young children. Who knew? The research I've done in the last day suggests that once the ear is cleaned out, most kids recover, as in start hearing well enough to speak properly, within 3-6 months. If this has been our culprit all along, I can wait another 3-6 months. If his speech doesn't improve, we'll look into other possible causes. His left ear wasn't nearly as bad. Although the procedure was quick and painless, they did warn that he may discharge blood for the next few days. Ty woke up with a bloody right ear, but I cleaned most of it up before I snapped this so I wouldn't gross you out. Now we get to make sure Arizona's nasty, contaminated tap water doesn't get into his ears during baths or when swimming.

Let the healing begin...
We spent the evening yesterday at my sisters house and brought a stowaway home with us. My nieces are so incredibly helpful, I love having them stay the night. Savannah picked out everyone's clothes, helped me give baths, played with Ty, asked if she could feed Brooke, and when I changed diapers she sat next to me with wipes and ointment handing them off like a nurse hands the doctor his scalpel.
She also modeled my newest children's apron to make sure the dimensions worked. (Ella, this ones for you!) The rest of the day she wore Ty's apron because it "makes me feel like a mom". Love her.
Sydney stayed overnight a few weeks ago. I made her this apron for her birthday. She is also a huge helper and probably Ty's favorite playmate. I am so lucky to have such sweet girls in my family. I get so much work done when they're here, and get to pawn off lots of little chores to them...and they think it's fun!?! Let's hope that doesn't wear off anytime soon.

8 comments:

Cara Fish said...

Glad to hear all good news! I loved getting to see and talk to you yesterday...even if for only 10 minutes.

Alison said...

Ew and Cute! (glue and apron)

Beka said...

i'm so glad everything went well yesterday! cute aprons too:)

Nash said...

glad to here you are on the road to recovery and i hope it's all as simple as that.
my little guy wasn't talking at all till 21 months. i worried but within a few months he was and has continued to progress.
hope he is feeling good. we have pink eye at our house.
can you send those little helpers to my house?

mad white woman said...

I'm happy everything went well and ear glue sounds kind of exciting.

You are such a fun aunt, I should take some lessons from you.

Jennie said...

That's crazy about his ear! I've never heard of that before, but then again, we've never had to deal with that issue before either.

What an adorable niece! I giggled when I read about how she "helped" with the diaper change. She reminds me of me, how much I LOVED kids when I was younger.

Cute apron! I love that cupcake material. I saw it at Joann's and have been dying to make an apron with it too. It looks like the pattern from "sew liberated" blog. Way to go!

Stacey said...

so glad it went well!

Auburn said...

Rachel - that is great news! Hopefully things will improve with Ty's speech. What a blessing that will be, if that is the "culprit", I'll say some prayers for you!!