Monday, January 31, 2011

Hab-M

I feel like I have spent the majority of January on the phone. The phone call that started it all was received on January 3rd notifying us that Ty was approved for long term care. I was slightly surprised (due to the economy) and very grateful. But when it comes to state services, one small victory only means a new line up of new battles.

First I called our previous therapists to see if they could take him back. No use spending 3-6 months building relationships if his amazing therapists from a year ago could take him on again. Our speech therapist had an opening right away, but the entire state is understaffed in occupational therapy so I was put on a waiting list. I politely, but persistently, called every week until they somehow managed to make room for Ty. He starts this week!

The next obstacle was initiating Hab-M. Hab-M is an abbreviation for the Habilitation-Masters program. This service is designed to have therapists come into our home to work with Ty on mastering life skills, improving social skills, work on his attention span and most importantly, work on his behavior. Our coordinator is required to have a masters degree and she will write a plan specific to Ty's needs. She will spend countless hours training Trent and I (mostly me), as well as a few providers who will help us implement methods/strategies to help Ty function, adapt, and succeed in everyday living.

Trent and I were a bit skeptical about whether or not Ty really needed this service since he is considered high functioning, especially because it is such a time commitment. But other mothers who have been in my shoes urged me to accept the help since early intervention is the surest way to successful living later on.

This is a two year program that will having keep our front door revolving all day long. We will potentially have people in our home every day, several hours a day, working with Ty, me, or the entire family. It's hard to think about the lack of privacy that will come with this program, but it is an acceptable sacrifice if it will help Ty in the long run.

Today was the first planning meeting. Nearly four hours of evaluation, questioning, and data collection later, I am already exhausted. But a little excited too.

Here's to the next leg of our journey...

2 comments:

Jennie said...

I'm so glad that this service is available for your family, especially for Ty. It does sound like a huge sacrifice at the same time. I hope that it won't feel that way as you go through each day with it though.

Jamie said...

Wow- you are amazing. I don't say that enough to you. But you are. Ty is so blessed to have you as his mother. I wish you all the luck. I'm so happy about Trent's new job too. GLad he'll be close and glad he'll be home more. :)