Shortly after we moved into our new home I took Ty to his 3 year check up with our family doctor. He has been working with Ty for just over a year now and is very familiar with all of Ty's struggles. At this particular appointment, we discussed the amazing progress Ty has made in his speech over the last few months. But with so many questions still up in the air, we decided it was time to see a developmental pediatrician. I made an appointment with the Melmed Center in Scottsdale and had to wait 3 months before seeing one of their specialists.
Monday we had our first appointment. After spending a few hours with Trent, myself and Ty, she voiced her perceptions and concerns about Ty. She acknowledged how intelligent Ty is, and even attributed some of his difficulties to his communication delays. Then she used the dreaded "A" word. Autism.
This declaration wasn't completely shocking to either Trent or I, but it was still heartbreaking to hear. As she shared the observations that led her to this conclusion, I couldn't help feeling overcome with emotion. It was as if she had opened an old wound - when we discovered Ty was struggling at 19 months. Her observations were accurate, her insight invaluable. I made another appointment to conduct more thorough testing, specific to the autism spectrum which will determine his official label and diagnosis. I held my composure during the evaluation for exactly one hour and 50 minutes. And then I broke. I quietly wept most of the long ride home. Trent gently questioned my emotions, reminding me that we knew this was a possibility. It's true, we've known that Ty's obstacles stretched further than just a speech delay. But can you ever prepare yourself for the sting of unwanted news? I am grateful for Trent's strength and his profound love for Ty. I am thankful that he is a pillar that I can lean upon.
That afternoon I relayed my experience with a new found friend whose son is severely autistic. She identified with my feelings of grief and sorrow, but reminded me that Ty is the same little boy right now as he was before receiving this diagnosis. And I knew that she was right. While I don't want to sit around and mourn the loss of the future I had in mind for him, I am finding it very difficult to keep my mind from swimming in the pool of what if's. I worry about how people will treat him, how far reaching his limitations will be, and mostly I am heartbroken that I cannot take this burden away from him.
The upside of this news is that we may have more resources available to us with a label of autism. His case is likely mild and he has so many capabilities. We have already received an outpouring of love shown to us in the last few days. And do forgive me if I see you in person, or we talk on the phone and I choke back tears when I talk about my little boy. In time I know I will be less emotional. Well, maybe.
Whatever the outcome of our next battery of tests, some things remain constant. I know that my Father in Heaven sent me this little boy because I am supposed to be his mother. I know that He does not make mistakes and that Ty is exactly the person he is supposed to be. I am thankful for the plan of happiness and for my Savior, Jesus Christ, who atoned for my mistakes so that I can repent and return to my heavenly home. And because I know this, I know I can find joy in our imperfect circumstances.
More answers in a a few weeks.
(And then a million more question...)
Thursday, July 29, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





12 comments:
Somehow hearing someone else say something that we may have suspected/known makes it more "real". {How'd you like all my generalizations in that sentence...}
You're a great example of having a good attitude about life. Ty's lucky to have you as his mother.
You are amazing, he is lucky to have you and Trent. You inspire me to be a better mother.
I'm sorry for the bad news. I'm in tears over here. You both are such good parents...and starting on his therapy at such a young age that he'll only keep improving from here on. You'll be in our prayers.
I'm so sorry for hard news and I'm not sure that their are words to express my thoughts. Our thoughts are with your family but your right the label doesn't change the beautiful wonderful little person that Ty is!
My nephew was just recently found to be autistic and while my SIL knew this was probably the case - hearing it declared out loud by a specialist was the hardest day for her! But like you've already said - Ty is still your lovable boy and is probably open to more options now than before. He is lucky to have you and you him!
Thanks for being so honest and open about this whole process. I think your insights have been invaluable to all of us! I know I have shared your experiences with friends and sisters who struggle with their children too. Keep up the good work!
A friend of mine's son was recently diagnosed as well, within the past month or so. I'm sure she'd LOVE and appreciate any and all information that you gather about autism, and she'll be a great resource for you as well. Here's her blog, it's very public -http://vermillionrules.blogspot.com My thoughts and prayers are with you and your cute family. Heavenly Father always knows what he's doing, even tho sometimes we're not certain of that. :)
Oh, Rachel, I had no idea. It's probably the absolutely wrong thing to say, but I don't know what else to say, so hope it's alright to say I'm sorry. I'm sorry that you are facing something so difficult right now, and that it is going to affect your future with Ty so dramatically. What your friend said is right--Ty is the same little boy now that he was before he had this label. None of the things you love about him, and none of the things other people love about him have changed, either. Tyson was just telling a friend of the family last night who his best friends are and Ty was in his list. Ty is a fantastic kid and YOU are a FANTASTIC mom. The Lord will lift you up to be able to meet all of the difficult things associated with this label. We're on your team, too--we'll do what we can to "fight for Ty" in any small way we can. We love you!!!
Rach, I know how heart-broken you feel. I know it can be hard hearing the news you never thought would befall your child. Developmental disabilities are definitely hard to get used to in the beginning. However, you are right in saying that with a "label" there does come more services, therapies and help. I'm here if you ever want to chat, or bounce ideas off me. You are a strong woman. You are meant to be the one for Ty. You are a remarkable woman and mother. Love you so much! See you soon. :)
we love you, trent, ty and brooke so much. you've been in our thoughts and hearts. he is the same sweet little boy that we all love but now we have a better idea of how to show him that we love him. ty is going to be a successful little guy throughout his life because he has such amazing parents.
I got a little teary eyed reading this. You are amazing. I love the comment you wrote that he is still the same little boy he was before he was defined by the word Autism. You are a strength to all around you and I know you are perfect to be Ty's mom.
I got a little teary eyed reading this. You are amazing. I love the comment you wrote that he is still the same little boy he was before he was defined by the word Autism. You are a strength to all around you and I know you are perfect to be Ty's mom.
Post a Comment