Monday, July 13, 2009

Bear Lake 2009

We survived our whirlwind trip to Idaho for my mother's family reunion at Bear Lake. The kids were excellent travelers in the car (thank you DVD player) but had a hard time sleeping in foreign beds. We stayed in the Excalibur on the way up and the way back. Remember going to Vegas when you were single and wondering why on earth anyone would bring their children to Vegas? Yep, we were that family. It was a good stopping point. We walked the strip the first night so the kids could see the fountain show at the Bellagio. After that I wasn't really interested in mingling with the Vegas crowd. But the buffets and the people watching in Vegas never cease to amaze me.

We had a wonderful time visiting with family and enjoying the lake. Here is our travelogue in pictures.



Brooke was never lacking attention from cousins, aunts, uncles and grandparents. It was sweet to see everyone dote on her so much.


Ty entertained himself most of the time by playing in the sand, chasing the birds, or playing with his cousins.


Out of all the rides Ty went on (jet ski, boat, and quad) riding the quad seemed to please him the most. I love this picture.

Trent rented a jet ski for a day so we could play. It was fun to leave the kids in willing hands on the beach while we went to play on the lake.

I wasn't brave enough to take my camera on the boat, but Trent took a beating on the tube that he shared with one of my cousins. My uncles (the drivers) showed no mercy to the menfolk. Trent injured his shoulder and elbow last week and was bummed he couldn't wakeboard.

My favorite memory from this reunion was hearing my grandpa tell the story of how he met and courted my grandma. I've heard the story a dozen times before, but it never gets old. My grandparents are still in love after 60+ years of marriage. I hope my kids and grandkids will be able to gather around Trent and I one day and look at us as an example of love and dedication to the gospel and to each other. I really believe that when you put your marriage first, your kids benefit in so many ways.

We are road-tripped out for a while. Trent swears we are flying to Oregon next year for his famiy reunion instead of making the 2-3 day drive. I concur.

We're missing the cool weather already, but so glad to be home.

4 comments:

mad white woman said...

Oh what fun! I think jet skiis are my favorite water toy ever. Ski boats kind of scare me, but jet skiis? Falling off them and tipping them are usually pretty safe. :)

Christie said...

Looks like a fun trip! I bet the weather was wonderful, compared to here. The kids look adorable all decked out for playtime in the water. Glad to have you back!

Cara Fish said...

Glad you had fun AND survived. That picture of Brooke with her belly sticking out of her bathing suit is the CUTEST THING I'VE EVER SEEN!

Maren said...

we love bear lake!! Look at how cute you are in your bathing suit. Those are the first ones cropped or deleted off my camera, but you look so cute!