Saturday, June 14, 2008

Monkey See, Monkey Do

I wanted to devote some blog time to Ty. He's such a little boy now with a larger than life personality. He mimics what we do quite often, good and bad.

I caught him trying to play video games when I snuck in to check on him. He was staring at the lifeless TV wondering why nothing was happening when he pushed all the buttons on the controller. Trent swears he didn't play video games when Ty was awake during his two weeks off. Is this proof otherwise?

This is an all too regular occurrence. We may need to get him a toy one of his own!


Last Sunday I realized Ty's usual church clothes were not clean since he had worn them to Trent's graduation. I broke out the golf pants and he got quite a few compliments (and a few non-compliments) at church. I thought he looked pretty dapper myself.

Some recent Ty-isms:
We are still trying to teach him some basic sign language and he is finally reciprocating. He knows how to ask for "more" and will sometimes ask for "milk".
Family prayer is very entertaining. He starts with his head laid down on the couch, and usually ends up back there by Amen, but in the middle he moves back and forth from Trent to me giggling and patting us on the back.
He loves to clean up, even if it's not time. We took him to nursery last week (chaperoned of course) and he tried to clean up everyone's crayons in the middle of coloring time.
He has discovered his boy parts. Oh joy.
He throws his food off of his tray when he's finished eating. Not my favorite habit. We're working on it.
The temper tantrums are in full swing. Also, not my favorite.

Sidenote: Our neighbor came by a few weeks ago and said he had access to shutters he thought would fit our windows in the living room. He installed them yesterday and all he asked for was chocolate chip cookies. Um, when does that happen? Don't worry, we're not that cheap - we paid him, but I still think we got the better end of the deal. I LOVE them! Now I just need to do some touch up painting.

12 comments:

Kimberly said...

I Love the blinds. They look so nice in your home. Love Ty's golf pants too. :)

Sarah Williams said...

those shutters look awesome. and the babies on the computer thing is always fun huh? if you get the toy- they know- he'll still be on the real one. we just got elsie in nursery too. i was a little sad. i can't let that linger though or i may get prego again and that SHOULD NOT HAPPEN! i need a little sanity. you should enjoy the nursery break for a whole what..month? haha! at least now you can stay home w/ them. you look so cute prego!

mad white woman said...

Don't you just love how they copy everything they see? Your new shutters look great. That is awesome!

Nash said...

love, love, love the shutters.
don't you love when they (boys) find their parts.
i am pretty sure once it starts it doesn't end....ever.
he is looking so big.
ok when i get back let's really go to lunch.

Nash said...

oh and sometime vance goes to church with plaid shorts and a nice white shirt and tie. he rarely has shoes on at church. he makes too much noise, but i am getting better at that.

Zach said...

I loved this post. And I saw your reading "The Host." I just finished it today. It's pretty amazing.

The Parkers said...

The shutters look great and Miles has those same pants. I love them at church!

Val and Wendy Shumway said...

Your house looks awesome! I voted that you were having a girl - btw....we need to catch up. I've wanted to call you this week. Verizon has been horrible here the last week or so. All the phones were down in Blanding. Ahhh - Blanding! Won't you come live here?

Jill Manning said...

Baby Ty throws tantrums? I don't believe such a thing!!! And I do have a theory that it is in boys DNA to just naturally know how to use video game controllers and how to make gun noises. Let me know what Ty starts making gun noises.

Jamie said...

Dude, Ty is so stinking cute. I"m glad he's yours. Love the blinds, I'm so jealous. Oh and Congrats to Trent. That's exciting stuff. Hope you're feeling good these days! :)

Jennie said...

Oooh...I love your new blinds! It's amazing that something so simple can make you feel so good whenever you look at it.

Ty is hilarious! The prayer routine sounds just like Raelyn.

The Taylors said...

Your shutters look so nice! Ty is very cute - we need to get Lilly and him together to play. I love his Ty-isms too. It's comforting to hear that my child is not the only one who throws her food and has an occasional tantrum - I just need to remember that although this time in her life can be challenging at times for me, it really is amazing and enjoyable to see her grow and learn and to see her personality take shape. Ok, sorry about the long comment - thanks for letting me get on a soap box!