I love my job. Really, I do. But going back to work pregnant was challenging. To make life even more interesting, I have been given a "special" group of kids to work with during 4th period. The class only has 5 students in it, but they are high risk for crime and drop out. I'm pretty sure a few of them are already familiar with juvey. So I've been trying to work my magic to crack their tough shells and let me in. You can't teach a kid if they don't trust you. After four long, defeating and exhausting weeks, I had my first true breakthrough today! Woohoo! If you're not a teacher you may not understand my elation, but I have worked my tail off for this moment. Now hopefully I can make some progress and continue saving the world. Or just a kid! :)
Friday, September 08, 2006
A Breakthrough...Finally!
I love my job. Really, I do. But going back to work pregnant was challenging. To make life even more interesting, I have been given a "special" group of kids to work with during 4th period. The class only has 5 students in it, but they are high risk for crime and drop out. I'm pretty sure a few of them are already familiar with juvey. So I've been trying to work my magic to crack their tough shells and let me in. You can't teach a kid if they don't trust you. After four long, defeating and exhausting weeks, I had my first true breakthrough today! Woohoo! If you're not a teacher you may not understand my elation, but I have worked my tail off for this moment. Now hopefully I can make some progress and continue saving the world. Or just a kid! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comment:
I love those moments and I know you have saved many and I'm so jealous you have those opportunties.
Post a Comment