Sunday, December 16, 2007

Christmas Traditions

First of all, I am so relieved that our ward Christmas party is finally over! We love to throw a party, but that was quite an undertaking! I think I will be forevermore appreciative of anyone who serves as activities directors in the ward. Really, it was beautiful and a big thanks goes out to my apron club sisters who stayed in the kitchen with me all night. (It was fun to sneak extra pieces of cheesecake in our mouths when no one was looking!) Thanks also to Cara and Clara for hooking me up with decorations and flower arrangements!

Trent is finally on vacation for 2 weeks! We can't wait to do a few of our favorite things during the rest of the holiday season!

Now, on to the traditions...
I got this idea from my good friend Alison. I love nativities and get a new addition, or a new piece to an existing nativity, almost every year. I couldn't put some of them out this year because of Ty's curious hands. So I ordered him a nativity of his own. I debated on saving it for Christmas day, but decided that I'd let him play with it for the month of December. I'll pack it up with the Christmas things and get it out again next year. It will be a special toy just for the Christmas season! (By the way, this was the first toy I've bought for Ty. Ever. I bought him a few books, but all of our toys have been gifted or passed down to us. Isn't that crazy?)

The past few years, all of the girls in my family have gone to see the Nutcracker. It never gets old for me! Last night we went again. My favorite part was Savannah twirling around in the aisles during intermission. Fun as it was, after reading Courtney and Al's posts, I think I'm going to talk my mom into seeing The Rockettes next year!

Shortly after Christmas, the Insight Bowl is held in Tempe. My bro-in-law gets tickets for all the men and boys to go, whether the teams are good or not. This is one of my dad's favorite events every year!
This it Trent's favorite tradition, watching National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. Though I'm not sure I want my kids to watch it for, oh, let's say... 10 years at least, it is a good time!

My favorite tradition is reading the Christmas story in Luke 2 on Christmas Eve. Afterwards, we all get to share what we are thankful for. Telling stories, reminiscing and passing around cocoa and goodies with family is the best way I can think of to celebrate the birth of our Savior.

I can think of many more, traditions that you probably have as well. Baking cookies, looking at lights, caroling, etc.. What are some of your favorites? We hope you have a lovely last week before Christmas with lots of fun traditions!

4 comments:

Jill Manning said...

OH my goodness, I had every intention of texting you on Sat to wish you luck with the ward party, I am so sorry that I completely forgot too. I am glad that it was successful but that it is over and you don't to stress over it any longer, I don't doubt that it was a blast! I'm glad to hear that the apronistas pulled through for ya. I loved your traditions and that toy nativity set is super cute, what a great idea!

Courtney said...

I think next year I want to go to the Nutcracker! I haven't been since I was little and would love it! I LOVE Christmas for the traditions and family....and am QUITE JEALOUS that Trent has 2 weeks off!

MERRY CHRISTMAS! We really need to go to dinner after the hubbub of things dies down and Trent has to go back....

Jamie & Johnny said...

That nativity set for Ty is great. Great traditions, I love CHRISTMAS VACATION!

Pace & Gwen said...

How fun! I would love to see the Nutcracker - never have. Our family traditions are similar (Luke 2 Christmas Eve, and major family parties). It'll be fun to start new ones with our own little family... What those may be, we aren't sure, but it'll happen. :)