Tuesday, September 06, 2011
"Fixing" Autism
I watched this today on a friends facebook page. I wept. Our family has only had a small taste of the struggles that some of these sweet kids face, but I can still relate to the journey - even if on a smaller scale.
Over the last year or so as Ty has really made marked improvements and most outsiders wouldn't categorize him as a child who belongs on the autism spectrum at first glance, I find myself at an interesting crossroads. I find that I am less inclined to tell some people (like a parks and rec instructor) about his uniqueness. I am curious to see if he can adapt on his own and want him to be treated like the other kids without being judged. Often he can. Sometimes he cannot. On the other hand, some of his tendencies are still very real and when we take breaks from therapy, I can see some of his skills rapidly decline. Our crossroads right now is that he does not truly fit into the "typical" category, yet his skills are high enough that other parents with kids on the spectrum will raise their eyebrows when they ask about his diagnosis as we sit in the lobby of the therapy clinic. We are already scratching our heads about what to do for kindergarten, knowing he may struggle in a typical class but fearing he does not belong in a specialized class.
Whatever the case, Ty is our normal. And I have strongly felt time after time, prayer after prayer, that he is now and will become exactly who his Heavenly Father intended him to be. That doesn't make the journey any less exhausting some days, it just makes it more peaceful.
Shortly after his official diagnosis, some friends and family inquired if we would continue to have children. Our odds of having another child with similar challenges are obviously higher. My answer was that of course we'd have more children. I can't say that I haven't worried about baby B, he has a about a 33% chance of falling somewhere on the spectrum. As grateful as I am for science, modern medicine, and research, I have to trust that Heavenly Father will give us the child that was intended for our family.
Come what may and love it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





4 comments:
Great post! He is blessed to have such a wonderful mother. REMEMBER that!
I found it so interesting that it's so underfunded. Is it because people don't really believe it exists? (Autism is the new ADHD--have you heard that?) Anyway, I hope that through education and people opening up about their experiences, it will gain more attention and research. Good luck. Ty is really lucky to have you! :)
I'm not a crier but WOW that video has me in tears. I understand so little of what you're going through but am always inspired by your strength and courage. I watch you and Trent with Ty and know that you are the BEST parents for him. Ty is such a special part of your family and as adopted members of the Jones family he is a very special part of ours. Thank you for your example.
What a touching video! Had me in tears too! You're so lucky to have Ty, and Ty's so lucky to have you! Keep your chin up-you're both doing wonderful things!
Post a Comment