Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Summer...so far

We are loving summer at our house! Well, mostly. I cannot believe how busy we are, but I'm glad we're staying active and not wasting away in front of the television.

Right now we are double dipping in swim lessons. The city pool is so close to us that I thought it would be fun for the kids, as well as another social opportunity for Ty. City swim lessons are laid back and more for fun. I won't knock them too much, that was my job in high school and college. But I'm glad we are also still in a a swim school that is more regimented and focuses on technique.

Here's a few pictures from swimming lessons at Swim Kids.







Tonight was a big night for Brooke. She passed her beginning survival class. She was so excited to ring the bell after getting her skills passed off and has been wearing her yellow ribbon all night. Swimming lessons is the only fun activity she gets to do right now and she wears a permagrin the entire time we are there. She has had a difficult time since Ty finished the school year because of all of the attention he gets. He has a therapist coming into our home from 4-6 hours most weekdays and she gets upset that she can't participate in their entire session. He also takes tumbling and goes to clinical therapy. I think she is starting to feel left out and I'm doing my best to help her feel just as special. It's a tough balancing act. Next year she'll be old enough to take a fun parks and rec class on her own, but until then she is stuck with me as her primary entertainment. Thankfully the therapists recognize her feelings and invite her to play with them as much as they can.


Ringing the victory bell!

Receiving her award and acknowledging her fans...myself and Ty.



In other news, I love having a garden! Though not everything in our garden is producing, it is the most fruitful (or should I say veggie-ful) garden we've had yet. Sunday we made fajitas out of our home grown green bell peppers. Sadly, the red bell peppers just never grew. Our mini carrots turned out well too. I accidently planted mini ones this year so I'm anxious to plant the full size version next year. We've had a few pole beans come to life, our butter lettuce looks good (hopefully it will taste good too) and I just picked a few green peppers for homemade salsa. I'm just crossing my fingers I get a few squash and zuchinni out of my plants that have huge blossoms right now. I can't wait to plant our next crop!


1 comment:

mad white woman said...

Gardens are so exciting! We have eaten lots of our butter lettuce. It was really bitter if I just ate it alone, but when I ate it as a salad with other things and a little dressing, it wasn't bitter at all. Good luck!