Thursday, July 21, 2011

Summer Highlights

July is drawing to a close and I have little to no evidence of our activities this summer! I did remember to get the camera out for the 4th of July, so I'll share a few pictures from that family day of fun.
Brooke helping daddy fix his car. Actually my car.
We switched vehicles this summer to save on gas.

Trying to get Ty to smile "normally" just doesn't work anymore.

Sparklers in the afternoon? Yes, please.

Brooke with Sydney.

Fireworks show with the Blakes in our backyard.

Summer= rest and relaxation for who? Not moms, right? I think my kids have had a fabulous summer for the most part. That makes me happy. I think I have nearly gone crazy keeping them occupied and driving them around all summer. But I'd rather be busy with happy kids than at home all the time with bored kids that argue all the time.

Here are a few things we've been up to this summer:

Trent
Getting used to his new job. (So many good things about it but it has been a S.L.O.W. summer and we're praying for more patients)
Helping people move. A lot.
Home repairs and condo repairs and car repairs, oh my!
Catching up on Heroes episodes.

Rachel
Chauffeuring kids to various activities.
Working on keeping teaching license current. (I am now certified in Spalding!)
Painting, organizing, and finally a little sewing.
Trying to work on projects and starting to realize limitations due to growing belly. :)
Celebrated another birthday. Super low key but really nice. Trent took me to Kabuki for lunch - delicious!

Ty
Therapy, therapy, therapy
Swimming, swimming, swimming
Play dates, cousins sleep overs, tormenting his sister, asking when the baby can come out and play...

Brooke
Lot of imaginative play - she's very interested in dolls and princesses right now
Swimming
Singing

Baby B
Becoming extra intolerant of acidic foods
Wakes up at 5:30 every morning
11 more weeks of the easy life in mommy's belly
I can't believe we're adding another family member in just a few months, but am so excited for him to be here! We already call him by name and talk of him so often to prepare the kids that I'm impatiently waiting for him to make his debut. Maybe it's because there is the possibility that he will be our last child, but I have really savored this pregnancy - the good and the bad - and feel like he is going to be one special kid!

This week we had Brooke's hearing tested just to be safe. Her speech is a little behind, but she is mostly intelligible. It's hard not to worry when you've already had one child go through delays. I think she'll grow out of it just fine, but we're keeping tabs on her progress. I do not worry about her self confidence. She is a girl on a mission and makes her wants and needs known with not hesitation.

A year ago this week, Ty was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder. I cannot believe how much our life has changed in one short year. It took me nearly 6 months after the diagnosis to get all of his therapies reinstated and to get his habilitation program in place, but it was worth every minute of phone calls, emails and meetings. He is doing remarkably well and I cannot testify enough how imperative early intervention is for children with delays. Most of his team of therapists agree that the main area of concern is his Sensory Processing Disorder. There is a fancier term for what he struggles with specifically but I can't think of it right now. He has such a difficult time regulating his body that he usually appears to be an extremist - either super hyper or nearly lethargic, like he's melting. It will take years of work to train his muscles and brain to work together to regulate his sensory intake, and the more mature he becomes, the more he can consciously make choices that help his body stay in synch. I can only cross my fingers that he will have patient teachers in the classroom over the years that will work with his physical needs to help him succeed in the classroom academically and socially.

I continue to learn humility and hopefully a little grace from my children's trials and triumphs. I so wish I could take back any judgmental thoughts or critical words that I have indulged in regarding other people. I understand more than ever what it is like to do the best you can and hope people see the best in you (and your children) even if they don't know your personal circumstances.

4 comments:

Beka said...

your adorable kids are SOOO lucky to have such a wonderful dedicated mommy:)

The Regimballe Family said...

4th of July looks like a lot of fun! Glad to hear you're having such a fun-albeit busy-summer! Your darling kiddos look so happy! Ditto to Beka-they're lucky to have you!

d.jo said...

I can't really pin point it, but this post made me tear up a bit.

You are such a great mom, Rachel! I love you, and love your family. You have beautiful, wonderful children--they reflect their beautiful, wonderful mother (and Trent is a great dad, too). I'm just really proud of you and the way you've handled this last year.

autumn said...

the way chloe talks (or, rather, doesn't talk) makes us worry, too. there are days that i freak out and wonder and i have to talk myself down, that she's fine and she'll get it. luckily, one of our neighbors just finished her speech therapy degree and reassured me that she's completely normal. i think about that conversation a lot.
but it's hard not to worry, huh? ♥ you