Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Hooray for school!

After a very difficult summer, I was excited for Ty to go back to school. It was challenging to play the role of mom, therapist, and teacher all summer long. I tried to wear all of those hats since we know he regresses so easily, but it was not easy. I prefer to just be his mom.
Tuesday evening we attended meet the teacher and Ty was somewhat apprehensive. After a few minutes he acknowledged Miss Alicia by bumping fists and then wandered out to the playground. Luckily, he wasn't hesitant about getting on the bus at all this morning. Not a tear was shed by either of us. It's nice to have the same teacher and bus driver again.
Ty was very particular about what he wore to school today. I had bought him a new button up shirt, but he refused - reminding me "no church, mom, school!" At least I have him trained to wear button up shirts to church. After we chose some different clothes, I had to cajole him into wearing sneakers. Not fun in 100+ weather.

He came home accident free and without any notes. (No news is usually good news.) I'm so glad he had a smooth day. I think he is as excited to be back to school as I am. Brooke enjoyed having the play room (and her mommy) to herself too. I'm going to enjoy the free mornings until my preschool program starts in a few weeks.
Earlier this week we met with a child psychologist at the Melmed Center. She confirmed the autism diagnosis, agreed he was a "borderline" case and pointed out many observations, both positive and negative. Although my emotions still break the surface here and there, I'm feeling much more at peace. We have found a speech therapist to work with privately until we find out if the state will help us fund Ty's therapies. We are praying that doors will be opened as needed to help him achieve his fullest potential.

2 comments:

Beka said...

He's such a cute boy:)!! Its so nice he LOVES going to school!!

Jenna said...

What a handsome little student!