Monday, November 05, 2012

Summer 2012

We kicked off our summer with our usual camping trip with the Jones family.  We didn't travel as far this year, and we were missing a lot of the Jones' for various reasons, but we still had a great Memorial Day weekend up on the rim.  This trip now holds a special place in our hearts because it is the last camping trip we went on with Grandpa Dan, who unexpectedly passed away a few months later.  I wish I had gotten a picture of the kids with him.  Though he obviously is not their real grandfather, they have always known him as Grandpa Dan and he treated them as his own.  We love him so much.
This was the first time we camped in a tent instead of renting a pop up trailer.  Usually I am the lightweight who insists that our babies need a pop up trailer, but it just wasn't in the budget.  Much to my surprise, the kids loved the tent and slept pretty well.  Me, not so much, but I still didn't really mind going without the trailer.  It was pretty darn cold so Brody ended up in our double sleeping bag wedged between us to keep him cozy.  That was probably the biggest reason why I didn't get much sleep.
Brooke spent a great deal of time sitting on her "black unicorn".  She loved going for rides, but was equally as content just sitting on the parked quad pretending to be on an adventure.  She is a super fun camper!
In July, we headed to the Gila Valley for Pioneer Day.  Our trips seem to get shorter and shorter every year, but I'm glad we made it up for the parade and fireworks.  It was crazier than usual for us than in years past since we now have 3 mobile little people wanting to do their own things.  We didn't get to relax and enjoy the show as much as we usually do but the kids had a fun time and briefly got to see some of their cousins.

For my birthday this year, Trent planned a really fun date.  We met up with my sister and her husband at Benihana's (delicious) and then we went bowling.  After that we headed to Chandler mall for a little window shopping and then we picked up some frozen custard on the way home.  The best part was spending almost an entire day with my husband.  He's a keeper.
The kids begged to go swimming any chance they got.  We were stuck at home more than usual to accommodate Brody's naps.  I officially had pool envy this summer and am now trying to talk Trent into putting one in the backyard.  We'll see if that ever happens.



1 comment:

Kari said...

Your kids are so cute! Growing up fast. Glad I ran into you the other day, it was great to see you. Glad you posted so I can see what you are up to! :)